Wednesday, February 6, 2013

So what now?

Can you believe I really have nothing to talk about today? It's true. I had a very busy day at work. I've injured a hand which is not fun, and that's basically it. So just for fun I will treat you all to my current Query letter. You know, the one that's been gaining me so many rejections. Also as an aside I want to say that Mr. Stephen Moffat is a genius and not just for his work on Doctor Who, and Mr. Neil Gaiman is also a genius, and not just for his work on Doctor Who. He's also a nice man that responded to a tweet from me asking for advice. He didn't have to do that and I respect him much for doing so. Anyway without further gilding of the lily, enjoy this query letter. Feel free to tell me what you think.



Dear <Agent Name>:

“Ragged Edge: Cry of the Phoenix” is an 85,000 word manuscript that I believe falls within the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre. I like to look at it as a blended supernatural thriller, monster adventure with just a dash of romance for flavor. “Cry of the Phoenix” is the first of the “Ragged Edge Chronicles” series.

Alongside our world is another hidden world. A world in which vampires, shape changers, mythical Gods, and various other creatures prowl. The human race is largely protected from these supernatural threats by a race of beings long thought extinct, if they ever existed. Members of this shape changing race prowl the ragged edges of the world, where the natural and supernatural collide.

“Ragged Edge – Cry of the Phoenix” is the story of Sean Gryphon. A seven hundred year old Atlantean. He finds his job as a junior guardian to be tedious and unnecessary. When his mentor, Darius, comes to him with a mission and the threat of death if the mission fails Sean is less than thrilled.  The mission is to protect an Archeologist, Dr. Ilsy Hillerman, a woman with a supernatural secret of her own, and the mysterious stone tablet she uncovered on her most recent dig. Viewing the mission as a simple babysitting job Sean finds himself unprepared for the harsh reality that quickly smacks him in the face. Attacked by some of the worst creatures ever encountered in his seven hundred years he discovers secrets hidden in his past and catches the eye of the ancient Celtic Goddess Danu. Unraveling a web of deception, pushing himself harder than ever before, and developing feelings for Dr. Hillerman, Sean finds that his life is the least important thing he can lose if he fails.

“Ragged Edge – Cry of the Phoenix” is my first novel. I’m an avid reader of mythology, horror, and mystery novels and spent the past ten years as a paranormal investigator.

Thank you for your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Dustyn McCormick
 

No comments:

Post a Comment