Monday, February 11, 2013

It's a long road.

When I first started writing I always thought the hard part was going to be actually writing the books. What with finding the right idea, finding the right music to lose myself in as the words flow out, and finding the time to actually write the thing. Then throw in time to edit, rewrite, find words that you use too much. It just seemed as though the hardest part of being a writer was going to be the actual writing.

Turns out that's completely not true. The writing is the easy part, the hard part is convincing anyone that your writing should be published. I assume that once I finally do locate an agent or a publisher (I'm not real picky here) I'll probably decide that the hardest part is convincing anyone to read the thing.

I suppose you can guess from this I've received yet another rejection letter. That brings the total up to, 18 rejections. I know that a majority of writers receive a load of rejections before finally getting published. I just haven't figured out how they deal with it yet. I've tried to make it fun by starting a pool amongst my friends to see how many I can accumulate, at this point it seems the winning guess will probably be lucky number 47. Who knows really?

It does feel like I'm just banging my head on the wall. This is another case that shows writers are a little bit crazy. That is, if you assume the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Here I am repeated submitting my work and expecting someone to accept it. I know that someone is out there but really sometimes I want to respond to a rejection letter with a "Just read the fucking thing will you?!" I'm fairly certain that's not proper etiquette though.    

No comments:

Post a Comment