Thursday, February 14, 2013

Query Critique

So I got my query critique back today. For those that don't know I actually paid a gentleman, Chuck Sambuchino, to critique and help edit my query letter. It was quite an eye opening experience. I saw that my letter does a very poor job of describing my book and this also brings up another writing tip. When you are writing your query letter make sure you read it as though you are someone that has never read your book. 

See that's the problem. I reread my letter, but I know what happens in my book. So the letter made perfect sense to me and I knew what I meant. Someone with no familiarity with the book can easily get the wrong ideas. 

What does all this mean? It means I get to rewrite my letter. Bleh. But at least it's not a rewrite of the book. Now to figure out how to describe it better and figure out other books or movies or something to compare it with. Wish me luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment