Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Rejection Letters

I normally won't make two posts in a day but I have to share this. In my earlier post I had stated that I hadn't received any new rejections yet. Well I just received one. Now as much as that sucks it actually was rather uplifting and is one of the nicest rejections I have received to date. I try to make it habit of sending a thank you letter when I receive rejections and this one I was happy to write even though I was rejected. Let me share the letter with you.



Dear Dustyn:

Thanks for sending along the pages of your manuscript, Ragged Edge- The Cry of the Phoenix. Truth be told, though, I'm afraid these pages just didn't draw me in as much as I had hoped. I'm pressed for time these days and, what with my reservations about the project, I suspect I wouldn't be the best fit. Thanks so much for contacting me and for giving me this opportunity. It's much appreciated, and I'm sorry to be passing. I wish you the very best of luck in your search for representation.
Best,

Obviously I left out the agent's name as I really don't know the etiquette on that and in this case it doesn't matter much. I want to point out a couple things I like about this rejection. 
  1. The personalized greeting. This is a small thing but it's actually important. Most rejection letters I receive are addressed to "Author" I understand that most rejections simple form letters but a simple personalization goes a long way towards lessening the sting.
  2. This is obviously not a standard form letter. Which means that this agent took the time to write to me personally. I understand that agents are very busy people and don't always have time to send personalized letters or emails but again it goes a long way towards lessening the sting.
   Now since this is the best I have received so far let me show you the worst I've received so you can see the comparison.



Dear Dustyn and Kelly

Thank you for your query.  This project just does not fit in with our current list so we are going to respectfully pass, but we wish you well for its success.


Now I would like to point that my email address is used by my wife and I. My wife didn't send a submission. I have my doubts as to whether or not this agency even read the query letter. Yes they personalized the salutation but they did it with the names from the email, not with the name that I gave them or signed with. Also for those that are interested this is the agency that represents Gregory Maguire. I have nothing against the agency and they do represent some great authors and I agree that I am in no way similar to Gregory Maguire and probably not even close to being as good of a writer but still, put out a little care in rejecting someone.

So I guess maybe this post would be a good one for agents. A little personalization goes a long way. At the very least address the submitter by name. Even if it's just the last name. You want authors to address you by name rather than "Dear Agent" please try to do the same for us Authors. Thank you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment